Wednesday 4 February 2015

Bookworm Wednesday: January

I missed last month's BWW as I didn't actually finish an entire book; I had two on the go and December is a very busy time!
 It's back this month and I have three books to share with you, one non-fiction, the other two fiction.

#1 City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare


This is the second time I have read this book, but I got the DVD for Christmas and so I wanted to remind myself of all the things that are missed out in the film, as I did read it a couple of years ago.
City of Bones is the first in the Mortal Instruments series, of which there are six I think. 
This story has literally everything supernatural - blood thirsty vampires, prowling werewolves, sinister demons, warlocks and witchcraft, fallen angels and merciless shadow hunters, all set in a darker, parallel New York City.
Clary Fray thinks she is just a normal girl living a normal life, until she subconsciously begins to draw mysterious symbols and views a horrific murder in a night club that no one else seemed to see...
I really enjoyed reading this book, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is into that kind of vampire-werewolf-angel supernatural genre. Give it a go!

#2 Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How To Create Stunning Digital Photography



Calling all photography lovers!
My Nana bought this for me for Christmas as I have been getting more into photography recently - I really enjoy it! This non-fiction manual has pretty much everything in it: from quick tips to an in-depth section on lighting and flash, problem solving, notes on composition, controlling the camera to portraits, weddings, animals, night photography and so much more including nine hours of video!
Everything in this guide is laid out clearly so you can easily find what you're looking for. The explanations and instructions are easy to follow yet detailed, there are examples of good photography and bad photography, different angles and depths of field. 
It's also very easy to dip in and out of this book; it's not like reading a boring textbook. I have really enjoyed just flipping through different paragraphs or sections as a bit of light reading as I find photography very interesting to read about.
I feel this book is already improving my photos, and it will continue to in the future.

#3 Girl Online by Zoe Sugg


Under the anonymous name of Girl Online, Penny Porter secretly blogs about her life. Everything is changing for her - an old friendship is failing, the boy she has liked for years begins to notice her, and anxiety attacks begin to rule over her. 
Everything that has been going wrong begins to melt away after her parents announce that they will be going to New York for Christmas; there, she is captivated by the stunning sky lines, the festive excitement, and Noah, a mysterious boy from Brooklyn who whisks her away on roof top picnics, to secret lunch cafes and vintage junk shops. Penny is quickly falling in love and having the time of her life, and sharing every moment of it on Girl Online.
There is a huge twist in the tale which I will not spoil, but it had me breathless until the end... 
I enjoyed this so much! It was the perfect feel-good, warming story to snuggle up to under the duvet with hot chocolate and the fairy lights on.

Thankyou for reading my three recommendations of the month, come back soon!

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Hey!

    I literally saw the photo of The City of Bones cover and clicked... I love the TMI (The Mortal Instruments) Series, and they are apparently going to be turning into a TV Show. I read the majority of the book, watched the film then finished the book, and I have bought the next three so I can read them whenever. There is also a Companion Series, called TID (The Infernal Devices) which is a trilogy and TDA (The Dark Artifices) is the new series coming out.
    I am sorry I laid this on you really deep but books get me very excited. No joke!

    Anyways, I haven't read the other two, but after the ghost-writing scandal/scenario I don't think I'd like to read Girl Online to be very honest!

    New follower via Bloglovin' if you can please follow back!
    Rachel x
    http://creativityandcrazy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    Wow, thankyou for such a great comment!
    Ah I'm really excited now that they're turning TMI into a TV show; I too love the series and always wondered why no more films followed City of Bones... I have heard of TID but never got round to reading them (I'll make sure I do once I've finished TMI), but I had no idea there was going to be a new series. Even more for me to read!

    It was great to talk to a fellow bookworm :) thankyou for following, I'll be sure to follow you back! xx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig